Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Interesting Professors

I got two of my three midterms back today (I get the other one next week Wednesday). In my religion class I got an A and in my management class I got an A- (and As on the two papers I had to write dealing with those interviews). I'm happy about that.

Funny thing though, in my management class, there were two parts on the test. The professor would average the two to get your final grade. One kid got an 8.25 but it was rounded to 8.2. When asked about this, the professor went on to explain, using the white board, that 5 is never rounded up. 6 does. So 8.26 = 8.3 but 8.25 = 8.2. He said, "that is always the case." Um, does math get lost in translation??

Some slightly racists, or at the very least, not very PC, comments were made in my religion class. One girl was talking about her wallet being stolen. The professor asked if a Moor took it (the word used to describe the Arabs/Muslims who conquered the Iberian peninsula back in the day but now generally seems to mean black people in Spain. At least, that's my understanding). We were kind of shocked and he said, "What? That's what they do." Goodness. Plus, on top of that, we were learning about Moor/Christian relations in the past and learned about a popular saying still used today. "No hay moros en la costa" (There are no Moors on the coast).

He said that this saying basically means that no one is around so it is safe to do something or sneak out, etc. One girl raised her hand and said that in English, we have a similar saying, "The coast is clear." He commented that it is a much more politically correct saying because the U.S. "is a big melting pot."

And today in my Spanish class, the word for acne came up. "Tener muchos granos" (to have lots of acne). One student was confused so she pointed to my forehead to clarify.

Well, I'm going to go shower and then get to work. I have a paper and a presentation tomorrow. Adios everyone!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Chad, have a great week! take care Love, Pat

Michelle said...

That is an interesting way to demonstrate that phrase. Hmm.